National Championship 2017: Clemson vs Alabama

1/19/2017 Matt Chambers 8 Comments



As a kid, I vividly remember seeing a Clemson 1981 National Championship poster in my friend's room.  I remember seeing that poster and being blow away that Clemson had previously won a national championship.  I've pondered over time if Clemson would ever win a National Championship in my lifetime; 1981 was a few years before I was born.  I always said that if somehow Clemson ever made it to the National Championship I would attend the game, and I was lucky enough to go to both of them and ultimately see the big win this year.  As an alum and employee of Clemson University, Clemson has always been a huge part of my life, so that whole experience is something I will remember forever.

To commemorate this event, I wanted to create a visualization of the entire game that would work well as a poster.  I plan on having this printed out for my son's room at some point.  I wanted to make it interactive so that you can hover over any play and see the details.  I also wanted to create something that would allow you to see the actual play in the game, so I was able to link game footage to all of the data in the visualization.

Hover over any play to see details; Click on any play to see the actual play in the game.


Click for the full interactive version

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As both a Clemson alumni (who was at the game with my 10 year old son) and a Tableau newbie, this just rocks! Props to you for a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you like it! What a game to be at! It's something I wondered if I'd ever see in my lifetime.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. Can we please at the Mace & Crown (ODU's campus newspaper) use this for the superbowl game's data visualization for this week's edition? (With appropriate credits to you, of course). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done some superb job. Really liked it and it shows how much passionate you are about the game. Thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete